Voices Admin FAQ
This app helps you to maintain your UserVoice account. Indie and hobbyist developers often develop their apps in their spare time, whereas users send requests at any time. Now you are able to interact with them at any time, too.
To use Voices Admin, you need to declare an API client in your Uservoice Account:
- After you logged in, click on 'Settings', followed by 'Integrations'."
- Select 'UserVoice API' on the 'Integration' page."
- Click on the 'Add API-Client...' button."
- Enter the API Client name, the callback url and check 'Trusted?' to make sure the requests against the API will work.
- Go back to the app and enter your subdomain (without '.uservoice.com') and tap the 'get API clients' button.
- Enter your admin account data and click 'Sign in'.
- The app will load all API clients that you declared.
- Select the desired API client, and your data gets loaded.
These steps are getting visualized on the first app start, too.
Loading the list of available API clients can take some time, please be patient at that point.
The API client is needed to allow our app to connect with your UserVoice account. You can revoke the access at any time from your UserVoice settings page (Integrations). We will also add an option to revoke access into our app in one of the coming updates.
As you are the administrator/owner of your account, you need to log into your account. We are fetching your ConsumerKey, ConsumerSecret and your callback Uri then for all later requests. Without those data, we will not be able to send any requests against your UserVoice account.
The tokens are added during the authentication process at the end of the callback url as paramaters in the form of http://mydomain.com/mycallback.html?oauthtoken=<oAuthToken>&toauthokensecret=<oAuthTokenSecret>. This makes it very easy for the API provider to send the tokens to an app or a website on one site and to read them for developers on the other site.
This can have multiple reasons:
- your data connection is to slow
- you reached the maximum number of allowed background tasks (see settings/background tasks on your phone)
- you did not activate the live tile (go to the more tab/settings)
- you are using Voices Admin v2, which currently has no live tile (we are planning to use Microsoft Azure and provide a true push notification service for that in the near future).
If you are not sure what the reason exactly is, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to assist you on searching the cause.
We have built a small helper library that is available from NuGet for Windows Phone. Learn more here.
The reason is pretty simple. This part of the app connects to our own UserVoice account, while the rest of the app is connected to your UserVoice account.